1 February 2019

County Court Judgment

Issue a CCJ

When debt collection actions have failed to collect the debt what further steps can you take?

You can apply for a County Court Judgment for payment.

How can Bailiffs, Enforcement Agents help?

Bailiffs, Enforcement Agents can assist at a number of stages in the process.

  • Trace a debtor who has absconded.
  • Prepare a pre-sue report to establish whether the debtor has sufficient funds to pay.
  • Serve the CCJ on the debtor providing proof of service.
  • Enforcement of CCJ.

Collecting CCJs

Obtaining a County Court Judgment against a defendant may not mean the debt is paid.

Some defendants will pay up as soon as judgment is entered, But others will ignore the judgment and not pay.

There are four options for collection through the County Court:

  • Collection by the county court bailiff.
  • Attachment of earnings order instructing the debtor’s employer to deduct a regular amount from the defendant’s wages.
  • Third party debt order to freeze a debtor’s bank account to pay the creditor.
  • Charging order against a property owned by the debtor which stops the debtor selling or re-mortgaging the property without paying the judgment.

These options have restrictions and can take significant time before you are fully paid.

High Court Enforcement

An alternative option for collection for judgments over £600 is to transfer the county court judgment to the High Court for enforcement.

Enforcement Agents working under the direction of a High Court Enforcement Officer tend to have significantly higher collection rates than County Court Bailiffs.

Contact a local
Certificated Bailiff
Enforcement Agent

England & Wales

please wait map loadingclick to refresh map